Top Software Development Methodologies to Choose For Your Projects
APRIL 1, 2019
Today technology is moving ahead at a great speed and so it becomes inevitable for software development companies to push their limits and come up with solutions that match the fast changing world. The software development methodologies is all about ensuring the application development takes place in error free manner throughout the phases like testing, integrating, etc.
There are a number of software development methodologies which can be used for building amazing software solutions and some of them have been mentioned here:
This conceptual framework is all about building software solutions in shorter iterations and with minimum risks. Actually agile methodologies is an umbrella which has different other agile methodologies. This method is used to satisfy the fast-changing environment to develop the final product in incremental fashion.
- Quick adaptation to any changes taking place in the environment
- Direct communication leading to transparency
- Even though the documentation work is less the development based on code is more
- At the initial stage of software development, it is difficult assess the efforts
This is one of the most popular SDLC model till date and is used to build prototype models which is tested and worked on again if needed. It is good to choose this software development model when you think that you will be getting more known projects of the same line in detail. You can have two different approaches towards this model –
- Rapid throw-away prototyping
- Evolutionary prototyping
In the first case it is all about exploring the ideas and getting feedback from the customers. In case of second one, it is about coming up with a model initially and incrementing it with changes until the desired output is received.
- Flexible design
- New requirements can be accommodated based on the refinement of leads
- Time consuming and expensive
- It is not certain about the number of iterations that will be needed before the final prototype get accepted by the client.
In this kind of model you require minimum amount of planning. In this method incremental method is followed for development and the different components of the software get developed in parallel. This clearly speeds up the development time. This model comes with different phases like data modelling, business modelling, application generation and testing.
- Customer feedbacks are asked for and encouraged
- The initial reviews come quick
- It does not apply to cheaper products
- Depends very much on modelling skills
This is a clear combination of waterfall model and iterative development. Here, each iteration is tested and refined forming a spiral. Here the iterations or the loops can be different for projects. Such a model can be called as applying prototyping to waterfall and during each ‘loop’ or ‘phase’ risks are identified and resolved quickly.
- Easily analysis and handles risks at every phase
- Right for complex and large projects
- It is difficult to estimate the time for development
- Very expensive and so not right for cheaper projects
This kind of software development methodology is used for product development and is incremental. This iterative agile framework is flexible in nature and here all the teams work towards reaching a single goal. This model influences the teams to work in a manner where they deliver results quickly with maximized abilities.
- It comes with constant updates is somewhat controlled
- Here decision making rests within the working team
- Development needs to be handled by experts
- Complex and large projects cannot go for it.