In 2021, consumers spent $170 billion on mobile apps, and many businesses are considering an app. But to create a successful mobile app, there are critical elements that need to be in place: top-notch vision, high-quality design, and seamless code development. The best way to make sure those three elements come together successfully is to work with a mobile app development team.
Developing an app is a significant investment for any business. With that in mind, you need to ensure that your development team can deliver the product you need. If you’re wondering what sort of team is worth investing in, here are six qualities to look for:
- A mobile app development team should have:
- Clearly Defined Roles
- Transparent Processes
- Understanding of Scalability
- A User Experience Focused Approach
- Cross-Platform Expertise
- Excellent Communication
A mobile app development team requires a visionary (usually the founder), designers, developers, quality assurance specialists, sales, and marketing specialists. Each of these roles has a set of skills and responsibilities that the team members must address.
- Visionary – Someone who sees the big picture and guides the team to its goal. This person must also communicate their vision clearly so that everyone on the team can work towards it.
- Designers – Designers create the app’s overall look or user interface (UI). UI design is an art, and designers need to be good at communicating, visual design, typography, color theory, and spacing.
- Developers – Write code and should be familiar with the operating system you use, whether it’s iOS, Android, or cross-platform.
- Quality Assurance Specialists – In addition to ensuring that there are no bugs in your code, QA ensures that your app works well across different devices and platforms.
- Sales and Marketing Specialists – Ensure people know about the app once it launches. Marketing may include advertising your app on social media sites or other outlets like blogs, newspapers, and magazines. The sales team can work with the SEO team to help the app rank higher in search results.
Having these clearly defined roles filled with talented and passionate individuals ensures that you get the highest-quality mobile app.
The app development process can take time, and most likely, you prefer a mobile app development team that can offer frequent updates. Companies with transparent operational processes keep you in the loop throughout the entire process.
A good team keeps you informed on project developments and decisions. The team should also schedule project reviews with you at regular intervals so you can offer input on the work in progress.
Ideally, these communications also include a clear sense of direction for the project, so you know where things stand in terms of time and budget.
Some questions to ask include:
- Do they have a communication plan?
- How often does the team check in with you?
- Do they follow an agile process?
- Who is your main point of contact throughout the project?
- How do they track bugs that get reported during user testing?
- What happens when something deviates from the original scope of the project?
- How will changes be communicated with you if they go over budget or beyond the initial timeline?
Consider asking about their processes for sharing updates on deliverables and easy checkpoints along the way, including scope definition, design, development, and testing. You need answers to these questions, so there are no surprises at the end of your project.
Scalability is essential because it’s an indication of how well your developers will be able to address your needs as your user base grows. Even if you don’t expect your user base to grow, it’s essential to prepare for the possibility and ensure your app is scalable. A good app development team will build your app to handle the increasing number of users without affecting the performance.
A poor app experience can put people off using an app and even uninstalling it. Another disadvantage of a slow app is that it can also impact your brand reputation. People may choose not to engage with future products or services from you, but they may also spread negative feedback about their experience online.
A mobile app development team that understands your goals will be able to advise you on the issue of scalability properly. They’ll be able to offer a solution that will allow you to continue growing your user base without any issues arising.
It’s important to remember that the User Experience (UX) is not just about aesthetics; it’s about how your users feel using your app. If you want them to enjoy using it, you need an experienced team who can help you achieve this goal.
Good UX is achieved by conducting thorough research on your target customer segment, including competitive analysis and usability testing. This research should inform every aspect of the design process, from wireframes to the final product.
Many apps fail because they lack personalization. Even if your app has excellent features, it won’t be successful if it’s not tailored to your target audience’s needs and preferences. To avoid this fatal mistake, focus on UX to create an app that people will want to use again and again.
Cross-platform development means that the same code can be used across multiple operating systems. Development teams that are not proficient in this skill will likely have to create separate code bases for each platform they create an app for. This process is often costly, time-consuming, and frustrating.
A single code base saves you money and headaches while allowing you to get your app on the market faster. This feature is critical because hiring one developer for iOS and another for Android, will cost more and take longer.
Each developer would have to learn about the other platform from scratch. In addition, the two developers would have to communicate with each other constantly and share code between them, leading to misunderstandings and slow development. You can avoid issues by working with a cross-platform development team with experience coding apps for all devices.
There is a lot more to app development than just coding. The development team must communicate well with you as the client. Instructions and requirements must be clear, and teams must deliver timely feedback.
Therefore, a mobile app development team must possess excellent communication skills if you want to complete the project successfully in a cost-effective manner.
You can gauge the communication skills of a mobile app development team at various stages of your interaction with them. These stages include:
- Initial meeting
- Presentation of proposals or quotes
- Discussion of technical details
- Scheduling milestones or deadlines
- Regular status updates
You need to know that your mobile app development team understands your vision and brings it into reality. Whether a team works with a client or within the confines of the company, communication is crucial for success. By communicating correctly, app developers can quickly develop a strong working relationship.
RD Global works with businesses and individuals from all over the world. Whether creating a mobile app, website, or marketing strategy for an established business or working with an individual to help them turn their idea into a reality, we empower them to achieve their desired outcomes. When you develop your mobile app with RD Global, you get a digital solution with a 5-star customer service experience.
The right team will have clearly defined roles expertise in their field and build a well-designed mobile app that is easy to use. They should also have sales and marketing experts who can help your app succeed once it goes live
Contact RD Global today to find out how our experienced mobile app development team can serve your needs.